The Elaina Foley Interview (Lancaster, PA)


Name: Elaina Foley

Hometown:  Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Height: 5-10

Position: Power Forward/Small Forward

High School: McCaskey (PA)

Graduation Class: 2024

AAU Club: 717 Hoop Dreams UA Rise

GPA: 3.0

Additional Sports: Field Hockey (Centerback), Softball (Catcher) and Track & Field (Shot put and Javelin)

Status: Uncommitted 

LANCASTER, PA -- Elaina Foley is a 5-10 Athlete from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She's currently a junior at JP McCaskey High School, and runs with 717 Hoop Dreams on the Under Armour Rise circuit. Foley is also a multi-sport athlete who's a member of the Tornado's field hockey, softball, and track & field programs.

When I think of the last name Foley, I automatically reference the WWE legend, Mick Foley

Mind you Foley was a wild dude in the prime era of wrestling, but with how Elaina stays active in four sports, it sounds extreme. I still can't wrap my head around it *laughs*. There are definitely similarities in their work ethic, but I invited Foley to the Factory to get some much valuable work in. I caught up with the 2024 athlete in an interview on growing up in Lancaster, her biggest inspiration and plans for the upcoming offseason. 

Check it out below.

Elaina Foley Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "I started playing when I was in kindergarten. I played at Upwards until fourth grade, which is kinda like a rec program. After Upwards, I played in many different school programs, until I could play at my middle school. Then for 7th grade, I played at my middle school and I would say that's when I actually started taking basketball seriously. In 8th grade, I played up on the freshman team and from there I've been playing varsity since."

Describe your game.

  • "I would say I’m a hustle player and very aggressive. I love playing defense, and would step up on anyone. I always challenge myself and want to play with better players instead of taking the easy way out. Skill wise I have a good sense of the game, can read different situations and do what needs to be done."

How was life growing up in Lancaster?

  • "I think I was kinda cut off from the inner city connections from elementary through middle school. From living on the outskirts of the city, and went to the same school from kindergarten through middle school. When I got to McCaskey, it was during COVID, so I didn’t really talk to a lot of people at first. When we finally went back to in-person school, I definitely made connections fast through basketball and everyone knew me as the ‘redhead’ at McCaskey. Especially this year I’ve seen how the community has stuck up for us especially for our basketball team, and how everybody comes together for events."

Editor's Note: Fun fact, Grace Galbavy was the first redhead to join the RPN!

How was your junior season?

  • "It went pretty good. We didn't have the exact outcome I would have liked, but compared to other seasons it was a great season. As a player, I feel like I definitely did better with taking the ball to the hoop instead of just passing, which has made my game a lot better."

You’re still at a very early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?

  • "I’ve been doing a lot of ball handling drills to kind of take on the roll of point for AAU. I’m going to be weight lifting all summer to prepare for AAU, and school ball next year. Basically just working all summer to get some more looks and not giving up on myself."

Which basketball player do you look up to and why?
  • "I would say Steph Curry because he never stops shooting. I've always been a fan of him, and he has perfected his shot. He barely misses!"

Who do you look up to as a role model?
  • "One of my biggest role models is my high school and travel coach, Adrena Carter. She has never quit on me, and pushes me to be the best player I can be. She played at McCaskey when she was in high school, and played at West Chester (University)."

What are your plans for this upcoming offseason?
  • "I'll be playing for 717 Hoop Dreams on the UA circuit. It'll be a lot of travel. Additionally, I'll be playing softball and throwing for McCaskey to stay active. Outside of my schedule, I'll go on vacation and hang out with friends."

What are you looking forward to in the last chapter?
  • "Definitely looking forward to see what I'm going to do past high school. Also, I'm excited to see what me and my team can do next year."

Thank you Elaina for taking the time to talk with me this morning. Do you have any words of encouragement, or motivation for people? Any last words?
  • "With whatever you do, keep your head up and push through the hard times. If you work hard, things will go your way. Most importantly though, always set your goals. Thank you!"


Elaina Foley - 2024