The Bryce Deason Interview (Humble, TX)

 

Name: Bryce Deason

Hometown: Humble, Texas

Height: 6-1

Position: Point Guard/Shooting Guard

High School: Humble (TX)

Graduation Class: 2024

AAU Club: Vyperfuse

GPA: 3.5

Status: Uncommitted

HOUSTON, TX -- Bryce Deason is a 6-1 Combo Guard from Humble, Texas. He's a currently a junior at Humble High School, and runs with Texas's Vyperfuse on the AAU circuit. As a junior, Deason averaged an impressive 16.8 points per game, while being named to the Texas UIL District 21 6A Second-team. 

Deason is your typical southern hooper. He gets right to business with the rock in his hand as he can score at all three levels, insanely quick off the dribble, scrappy defender and plays with a type of demeanor in "I'ma get *beep* done." No in all seriousness though *laughs* Deason's game is very intriguing as the young man is very talented. Deason told the RPN that he admires and resembles his game off of Cleveland Cavaliers guard, Darius Garland. I can fortunately believe it, but the Texas guard is looking to create his own path while representing his family in a good light. 

I caught up with the 2024 prospect on life growing up in Texas, his motivation for the game and preparation heading into the last chapter.

Bryce Deason Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "I first started playing at 5. My parents put me in at the local YMCA, and that's where my love for the game started. As I grew I started to watch the "new era" of players like Stephen Curry and Kyrie Irving. My parents bought me a basketball goal, and I would go outside and practice for hours to try and mimic those players."

Describe your game from the skill standpoint.
  • "I am a quick, and explosive 6-foot-1 combo that can score on all three levels efficiently, I am a good ball handler, have creativity that allows me to create my own, or get downhill and create opportunities for others. I finish very well at the rim. I am also very focused on the defensive end of the ball, and take that side personally every trip down."

How was life growing up in Humble?
  • "Growing up in Humble has been great. I've made a lot of friends growing up here on and off the court. This whole area is a big family on the basketball side. It's a lot of competition, so Humble is a pretty good place to be all around."

Living in the Houston area, they say everything is bigger in Texas. Being in one of the biggest cities in the country, what are some of your favorite and non favorite things about living in H-town?
  • "Houston is really a big fun place. There's plenty to do as you're never far from a Rockets, or an Astros' home game. Everybody at most of these events are pretty friendly, and easygoing. Everybody really wants to have a good time at outings especially with games. On the basketball end it's great because there is so much talent in the Houston area, and it leaves a lot of space and opportunity. At times it is a little too crowded, and there is a-lot of traffic. For the most part, Houston is a fun place to be."

How was your junior season?
  • "To be straightforward bro, it was pretty rough. I had a great year individually, but as a team we weren't as good as we were supposed to be. This really is pushing me to have a big summer, and to get ready to turn the ship around next year."

You’re still at a very early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?
  • "I usually train with my trainer Coach KC (Krishawn Crockett). She's been training me since my freshman year. I was always very athletic, but she taught me that people will catch up athletic wise, so I need to work on other aspects of my game. Ever since then we have been working on three level scoring, different finishes, my handle, and decision making. Now that I am in the offseason, I am going to train with her 4 to 5 times a week outside of my school workouts to get some work in. I'm also starting to really take care of my body now. I try my best to get the right amount of rest, stretching twice a day and eating right."

Who would you consider to be your favorite basketball player and why?
  • "My favorite basketball player as of right now is Darius Garland. I love how creative he is, and how quickly he can break down his defender to make the right read. He can score on every level and plays extremely well off of the pick-and-roll, which is the way I love to play. The biggest thing for me though is his motor, and confidence. He's very persistent, and will keep going at players the whole game. He always seems to have fun while he's doing it. I love modeling some parts of my game off of his. He has a deep bag, and there really isn't enough you can learn from him!"

Who are your role models?
  • "My Mom and Dad are my role models. My Mom has been really strong ever since we lost my dad, and she's been a great role model to me and my brothers. My Dad was my biggest role model. He always pushed me for the better, and taught me so many qualities in and outside of basketball. When I lost him, I always told myself to do everything for him."

What do you believe are the greatest challenges most players are facing today?
  • "I feel like the greatest challenge is realizing sometimes your race is different. The players now have social media, and see the early offers and mixtapes. They will compare themselves based on that. Players often lose their edge due to this, but the best thing to do as a player is to run your race."

As you’re now at the age where you’re looking and playing for college opportunities, what do you ideally look for in a school?
  • "I look for a great fit. A system where I can play good minutes and get better. I want to go somewhere where I am wanted. Most importantly, I want to go somewhere that supplies me with a great education."

What are your expectations heading into 
  • "Individually, I want to raise my stock and get on the radar. Doing whatever it takes to do so. As a team, I want to improve, and make it to the playoffs for sure."

Thank you Bryce for taking the time to talk with me. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words?
  • "Of course. Just keep going and stay the course!"
Bryce Deason - 2024


Twitter @BryceDeason_