The EJ Campbell Interview (Kansas City, MO)

 

Name: EJ Campbell 

Hometown: Kansas City, Missouri

Height: 6-2

Position: Point Guard/Shooting Guard

High School: Spring-Ford (PA)

Graduation Class: 2024

AAU Club: East Coast Cyclones

GPA: 3.4

Offers: Rider

Status: Uncommitted

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- EJ Campbell is a 6-2 Combo Guard from Kansas City, Missouri. Campbell grew up in KC, but eventually moved to Houston, then arrived in Philadelphia at the beginning of his high school career. He is currently a junior at Spring-Ford Area High School, and runs with the East Coast Cyclones on the Marquee Hoops circuit. As a junior, Campbell averaged 15 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals per game to help guide the Rams to a 29-4 record and a deep 6A playoff run.

Discovering Campbell throughout his season, he has one of the more versatile games in the 2024 class. He's a bigger guard who can score at all three levels, his length can give opposing teams issues, but can also be trusted as a lead guard to run an offense. Even to point out, Campbell is a winner who wants to see everybody around him have the same amount of success. It's rare you see players who have that unselfish demeanor to them, but Campbell was raised the right way. I have nothing but respect for the young man as I wish him the best heading into the last chapter. His success story will be major.

I caught up with the KC native on early life, his junior campaign and preparation heading into year four.

EJ Campbell Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "I first started playing basketball around 8 just for fun. I played football when I was younger, but my older brothers told me to take basketball seriously. I picked up a ball, and started hoopin' more seriously when I was around 11."
Editor's note: Mans thought he was Mahomes *laughs*


Describe your game.
  • “My game is a pass first point who can score at all three levels. Using dribble moves and getting to my spots to score. Don’t get it wrong, I still like being a defensive pest. I would definitely describe myself more as a true PG who can score when needed.”

You moved around a lot growing up. From your point of view, how did these experiences shape your view on life?
  • "Moving really changed my life. I’ve lived in three states all in different regions, and I’ve taken a piece with me every where I go. Most of my life, I lived in Kansas City. Where I’m from, it taught me the nitty gritty of life. We lived in a 3-bedroom house with 8 people. It was hard but I was young, so it didn’t matter. I moved to Houston where I spent most of my middle school years, but then I moved to Philadelphia where I have been all of high school. This has been the biggest change starting high school and creating a brand for myself. It’s been hard, but basketball has helped me do that."
How was your junior season?
  • "Individually, I feel like I made a name for myself and reached my goals. I feel like I made my teammate’s better, and did what I did to reach our goals. I made first team All-League and All-Area. I also led the team in scoring, and assists in the playoffs. As a team we flourished this year. We won our league championship, and had the number one ranking in District 1. Lost a tough one in the district championship to Plymouth Whitemarsh, and made it to the final 4 of 6A states with a loss to Reading. This past season, we will go down as the best team in school history."

You’re still at a very early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?
  • "My dad and I workout every morning before school. I take a lifting class at my school, so I'm getting stronger in the weight room, and I workout with Marquess Green out of St.Bonnies (St. Bonaventure University). During the Summer time, I definitely get in 2 to 3 workouts a day. Playing 1-on-1 with my friends also helps me get better."

Who is your favorite basketball player and why?
  • "Kobe Bryant for sure. He’s my favorite player of all time because of his mentality and his work ethic. He's just the goat *laughs*. But, my current favorite player is Kyrie (Irving) because of his smooth game."

Who would you consider your role models?
  • "My parents. I look up to them cause I want to be just as successful, and basketball is a tool to get to that goal"

What do you believe are the greatest challenges most players are facing today?
  • "I think social media is hurting and of course, the transfer portal. When you see other kids getting offers and getting ranked off politics, it hurts your confidence but you gotta stay the course and make your own path. The transfer portal hurts because of less opportunities. Colleges are recruiting more players with experience over high school kids, so it’s hurt recruitment."

As you’re now at the age where you’re looking and playing for college opportunities, what do you ideally look for in a school?
  • "Great location, school environment away from basketball, a good business program, diversity. Also, if me and the coach connect. so the close relationships. Hopefully if I have a chance to play right away."

What is one important lesson you've learned from your time as a high school basketball player?
  • "One lesson I’ve learned is to just have fun, I remember being a freshman and now about to be a senior, time goes by fast. Make the most out of your opportunities, and keep the family close."

What are your goals heading into the last chapter?
  • "Hit a thousand points, win a league championship and go Division 1"

Thank you EJ for taking the time to talk with me this afternoon. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words?
  • "In due time.."

EJ Campbell - 2024

Media Coverage on EJ Campbell
Campbell, No. 1 Spring-Ford boys basketball clinch first state berth since 2019 in win over No. 17 West Chester Henderson https://papreplive.com/2023/02/21/campbell-no-1-spring-ford-boys-basketball-clinch-first-state-berth-since-2019-in-win-over-no-17-west-chester-henderson/



Twitter @ejcampbell__