The Nojus Zalenekas Interview (England)

 

Name: Nojus Zalenekas

Hometown: London, England, United Kingdom

Height: 5-11

Position: Point Guard

High School: Menaul (NM)

Graduation Class: 2025

AAU Club: D1 New Mexico

GPA: 3.6

Status: Uncommitted

ALBUQUERQUE, NM -- Nojus Zalenekas is a 5-11 Point Guard from England. He's currently a sophomore at the Menaul School, and runs with D1 New Mexico on the Prep Hoops circuit. Zalenekas transferred into Menaul from London this past summer.

One of the best characters to come across the RPN, Zalenekas has slowly turned into one of my favorites. A dude who always knows how to make those around him laugh, while getting serious at important times, his personality will take him a long way in life. I guess you could say Lithuanian people are in-fact funny. But, when the lights come in, it's no rap for anybody guarding him.

The 2025 combo guard is a nightmare with the rock. He can hit you with a double move into a pullup, cash out from deep if no hand is present or drive by you using the swipe and find an open shooter, Zalenekas doesn't waste no time getting busy. We will still have to work on his celebrations, but I believe that the Lithuanian prospect can play with the best of them and has plenty of upside. 

I caught up with the international prospect on life growing up in London, his sophomore season and preparation heading into junior year.

Nojus Zalenekas Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "I started playing basketball at the age of 6. The reason I did it was because my family, who is from Lithuania, sees it as a second religion. They always talked about and play it, which made me fall in love with the game immediately."

Describe your game from the skill standpoint?
  • "I am a guard that loves to find open teammates at any given time. Some may say I am a “pass first guard”, however I can also put points on the board if needed. I also can play great perimeter defence, and force players to turn the ball over."
How was life growing up in London?
  • "I grew up in London, but I didn’t exactly grow up in the most amazing parts. I was born and raised in East London, more specifically Barking and Dagenham, where it wasn’t the greatest experience. However, I learnt many life skills that will definitely help me in the future. To add, a great community came with growing up there as everyone is seen as family and all are accepted no matter what your background."

Transferring to a new country comes with many different things to think about. With opportunities, leaving family and discovering new life. But, why did you decide to transfer from England to Menaul and how was the process behind it?
  • "I decided to transfer from England to Menaul, due to a lack of opportunities I was getting in London. The system in London was definitely not as serious as I am experiencing now in the US. The process behind this was interesting as I had an agent that liked how I played, and sent my film off to many different schools. Then, I got into contact with a few schools, and made my decision to move last August to the Menaul School."

How was your sophomore season?
  • "My sophomore season was definitely something different than what I was used to back home. Individually, I performed pretty well, but could have performed better in leading my team to the chip. I had earned and put my name out in New Mexico. I earned myself a starting spot as a sophomore, and was in the top 3 assist leaders in the whole state. As a team, we made it into the final four of states, but fell short to the number one ranked team in our division. I have learned many things for my junior year and will get my team to that chip game."

Who's your favorite basketball player and why?
  • "I would say my favourite player is Shane Larkin for Anadolu Efes. He is an undersized guard that I feel like I play like as he can get a bucket, and create amazing shots for his teammates. Even against great Euroleague defence he is able to play his own American style, as he went to Miami, with a mix of European play making. A very enjoyable player to watch."

Who would you consider your role models?
  • "My role model is definitely my uncle, who was actually one of the people who inspired me to play basketball. Growing up my uncle dreamed of playing pro basketball, however he had a limitation as he was partially deaf. This did not stop him from pursuing his dream, as he was a multiple time European, and world champion with the Deaf Lithuanian National Team. This taught me to never give up and follow my dreams."

It’s never too early to start thinking. As you’re now at the age where you’re looking and playing for college opportunities, what do you ideally look for in a school?
  • "I look for a college that has a coach that actually cares for his players, and gives the right discipline needed. I would want to play for a school that could use me as a player, and not just to fill the roster. I want a school to be a community and like a family, which can help us out on the court. The location of the school does not matter to me, however I would like comfortability in travel to see family or friends once in a while. As a result, I would commit to a school where I would feel needed."
Editor's note: RPN's motto, "Go where you're celebrated, not shaded." Cop your merch soon!

What are your expectations heading into junior year?
  • "My expectations for my junior year is to lead my team to an unbeaten record, and to win a state championship. Also, I want to make the All-State First team, and win District Player of the Year."
Thank you Nojus for taking the time to talk with me. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words?
  • "‘Never let anyone tell you what you can and can’t do.’ Wise words from the great Nojus Zalenekas!"
Editor's note: "I swear I'ma hate this kid more by the week *laughs*"