The Julian Greer Interview (Houston, TX)

 

Name: Julian Greer

Hometown: Houston, Texas

Height: 6-5

Position: Shooting Guard

High School: Cypress Falls (TX)

Graduation Class: 2024

AAU Club: Vyperfuse

GPA: 3.4

Offers: North Carolina A&T

Status: Uncommitted 

HOUSTON, TX -- Julian Greer is a 6-5 Shooting Guard from Houston, Texas. He's currently a junior and transfer at Cypress Falls High School, and runs with Texas's Vyperfuse on the AAU circuit. Greer is the younger brother of former NJIT standout, Donovan Greer. He was recently offered by HBCU power, North Carolina A&T. I caught up with the Division 1 recruit on growing up in H-Town, his college recruitment and preparation heading into the last chapter. 

Julian Greer Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "I started playing basketball in the first grade, so I would say about 7 years old. My family is heavy on sports and growing up, I would always watch my older brother, Donovan play throughout high school and college. That sparked my love, and passion for the game of basketball."

Describe your game from the skill standpoint.
  • "My game is a scoring two guard that can handle the ball at will, and also play off the ball. I can score at all three levels, play above the rim, and I also am a long lengthy defender with a 6’11 wingspan. I can send shots, and contest perimeter and interior shots."

How was life growing up in Houston?
  • "Growing up in Houston was awesome. I went to three different elementary schools, so getting to know people wasn’t really a problem. The sports scene is honestly a good place in Houston. There are a lot of big time teams, so the exposure is here. It is a great environment, and there is a lot to see in the city. Overall, I’d say Houston was a perfect place to grow up and I’m happy to call it home."

How was your junior season?
  • "Honestly, team wise it was a little rough going 9-23. But, individually I feel like I started to mold into my true potential late into the season. I earned second team All-District and All-Academic. I’m using the season to fuel me as a motive for the summer."

How has your college recruitment been?
  • "The process has been good honestly. Getting the first offer was honestly a wild feeling. I felt all my emotions at once. I ran around the house almost in tears honestly. Things are going great though. I look to keep going in the coming months, and hopefully I can keep my buzz going."

Who's your favorite basketball player and why?
  • "My favorite player is easily Devin Booker. The reason why is because I can see myself doing the things he’s doing. Physically both have size and offensively, I try to mimic my game after him since he’s arguably one of the shooting guards in the league."

Who would you consider your role model?
  • "I consider my brother as a role model. I can go to him about anything, and he can help me through it. I talk to him every day, and he really keeps my head on a swivel. Also, my dad is a big role model for me, and my grandfather before he got diagnosed with dementia."

As you’re now at the age where you’re starting to look for college opportunities, what do you ideally look for in a college? 
  • "I mainly look for how they treat me. I wouldn’t wanna go anywhere that doesn’t feel like home. Also, I look for things such as if they have a good program in engineering, since that’s the career I wanna pursue. Another thing is if I would fit into the program as a player."

What are your expectations heading into the last chapter?
  • "Individually, I expect to keep thriving as a better player, and sharpen all the tools in my game. Team wise, I hope to merge together and hopefully we can make a deep run in the playoffs."

Thank you Julian for taking the time to talk with me this afternoon. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words?
  • "Don’t second guess your work, God has everything planned out."

Julian Greer - 2024