The Marina Apostolou Interview (Canada)

 

Marina Apostolou shooting at the free throw line during Hoop Group's Pennsylvania Jam Fest showcase | June 2, 2023 | Darryl James Linobo  

MISSISSAGUA, ON -- Players returning to the Factory is like music to the ears as something in the process has to be going right. From interviews, social media content and college recruitment work, the RPN ensures that deserving players market themselves in a positive light, while holding themselves accountable through performance and character. But, while over 80 prospects have gone through the work the last three years, Marina Apostolou is proving to be one of the hidden gems within RPN's 2025 class.

Apostolou joined the brand in late 2021, but has gone far above expectations. No matter the situation, the young lady has handled everything that has been thrown her way throughout the last two years. Has elevated her game in becoming a reliable shot creator from all three levels, continued to apply herself in the classroom, and now taking on mentorship roles coaching the youth within the Greater Toronto Area. Apostolou is starting to garner college attention from D1 and D2 schools in America, but making the switch from Excel to Redmond Prep, the 2025 guard is expected to have a breakout junior season in the OSBA.

But, one question still remains for Apostolou, can she overcome another RPN interview two years later? 

Let's see how she does.

I caught up with the Canadian guard on the switch to Redmond, summer offseason, and preparation heading into junior year.

Marina Apostolou Interview

Marina! Welcome back to the factory, how's everything been lately?

  • "Thank you for asking! Everything has been going well, and I am progressing. I've decided to make a move, and change schools for the last two years. Currently, I am playing AAU for S-Elite on their 17U team. I’ve also transferred, so I am really looking forward to the upcoming season with Redmond Prep."

Since you came early to the RPN Factory, there have been a lot of changes within the network. What are some similarities, but changes that you have noticed with the brand?

  • "I believe the RPN has kept the same goal to help recruit and help out ‘the underdog’. The RPN has primarily focused on lesser known athletes that have tons of talent, but haven’t been given the opportunity to show off their skills. The RPN continues to do that today, but with even more resources and opportunities than before. When I first joined the RPN factory two years ago, it was a very small network. Now the network has completely expanded, and has turned into a completely new brand. Tons of new athletes with great work ethic, and lots of skill have joined throughout the years. It just makes the RPN that much better!"


How was your experience at Turner Fenton Secondary School?

  • "My experience at Turner Fenton Secondary School has taught me a lot about myself as a student and as a person. Being able to pick different electives and being given the freedom to try new things at Turner Fenton, it made me realize that I really enjoy writing, and that journalism could be a potential career path for me outside of basketball. I also learned how important adaptability is because at times it can be hard to balance the student-athlete lifestyle. Turner Fenton offered me new challenges, taught me problem-solving skills, and helped me cultivate a growth mindset that embraced change and learning from setbacks."


How was your sophomore year?

  • "My sophomore year was a lot different than I expected it to be. Since I had already played for Excel Hoops during my freshman year, I thought everything would be familiar to how it was the year prior. This was not the case as the coaching staff had mostly changed, and I had moved up to the varsity team. Playing varsity basketball was a very different experience for me as I was playing against top talent in the OSBA. At first it was a challenge, but playing at a higher level motivated me to train even harder than I was before. Since the girls I was now playing with were bigger and stronger, I also started lifting weights more often and ate healthier. Although, Excel Hoops did not have the best record in the OSBA, we all worked hard and learned from each other. A graduating senior player on Excel Hoops once told me, "Do not let the time you have to play basketball go to waste, because it will be over before you know it". I always keep those words in the back of my mind as I am determined to be the best basketball player I can be."


To the answer that we have all been waiting for, why did you decide to make the switch to Redmond Prep this upcoming fall?

  • "Transferring to Redmond Prep has been one of the most exciting things I have had to do so far in my basketball career. As I am approaching my junior year, I was looking to attend a Prep school that has great academics, a friendly environment, a basketball team where my talents are appreciated, and a place where I can continue to work on my craft and improve it. As soon as I arrived at Redmond Prep for a visit, I felt extremely comfortable. Redmond Prep really checked off all of my boxes, and I am looking forward to playing for them in the upcoming fall!"


What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?

  • "I really take pride in doing a lot of things to make myself the best player I can be. An example of that is going for 3 km runs five times a week to stay in shape, as well as lifting weights in the gym for 3-4 days every week. I also train with the Milton Stags club three times a week with Coach Jaron Robinson. When I started training with S-Elite, I noticed how confident I was becoming and it really took my game to a new level. Also, I work on mental training a lot. Basketball is as much a mental game as it is a physical one, so I work on mental toughness, focus, and concentration to handle pressure situations, maintain confidence, and make better decisions on the court. When I am not training with my team, I work on my skills outside at my local community centre for a few hours five days a week. Coaching younger kids at basketball camps, and running skill training sessions has made me a better basketball player as well. I believe that coaching requires a deep understanding of the game, which enhances basketball IQ and strategic thinking. Coaching also allows me to analyze and observe players closely, enabling me to identify patterns, weaknesses, and areas for improvement that I can apply to my own game."


What do you believe are the greatest challenges most players are facing today? 

  • "I think that athletes face immense pressure to perform consistently at a high level, which can lead to mental and emotional challenges. Dealing with stress, anxiety, self-doubt, and the fear of failure are common hurdles that players need to overcome to reach their full potential. Balancing their athletic pursuits with maintaining a healthy mindset is crucial. I also believe that recruiting is a challenge a lot of players are facing as well. Players often struggle with standing out among a large pool of talented athletes, attracting the attention of recruiters, and navigating the complex process of college or professional team selection."


As you’re now at the age where you’re looking and playing for college opportunities, what do you ideally look for in a school?

  • "Ideally I’m looking for a school with a good journalism, political science or media studies program as those are three three majors I am really interested in pursuing. I would also prefer to attend a school where my parents can drive to watch some of my games, and where I can drive back home. Instead of having to pay for flights, and a lot of transportation. Another thing that’s important to me is finding a school that offers a diverse range of opportunities to meet people and pursue my interests."


What are your expectations heading into junior year?

  • "Heading into my junior year, I am looking forward to being more of a vocal leader on the court as I am now one of the 'senior' players on Redmond Prep. I think that I have really grown as a player these past few months, so I am grateful to be given the opportunity to show off my skills in a new, positive environment. Redmond Prep’s 2024 team has many new talented players as well as great returning players. I think that this team is going to surprise a lot of people!"


Thank you Marina for taking the time to talk with me. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words?

  • "Young basketball players remember that greatness is not achieved overnight. Embrace the journey, stay dedicated, keep pushing yourself to improve every single day, and have fun with the process. Believe in your abilities, trust in your training, and never give up on your dreams. With hard work and perseverance, you have the potential to achieve incredible things on and off the court. Thank you Tyreese for having me throughout the years. It’s been a pleasure!"


Original Interview: The Marina Apostolou Interview (2021)

Contact Tyreese Smith: