The Shaniyah Weidler Interview (Harrisburg, PA)

Shaniyah Weidler featured at PennLive's Spring Media Day, March 8, 2023


Name: Shaniyah Weidler 

Hometown: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Events: Hurdles/Jumps/Sprints

High School: Susquehanna Township (PA)

Graduation Class: 2025

GPA: 3.7

Status: Uncommitted

HARRISBURG, PA -- Shaniyah Weidler is a jumper, hurdler and sprinter from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. She's a rising junior at Susquehanna Township High School, who also participates in the Indians' field hockey program. In her sophomore season, Weidler was named the District 3 3A champion in Girl's Triple Jump with a mark of 39 feet, while being named to PennLive's Girls Track and Field All-Star Team.

From what people have picked up on, yes, this is a basketball site. I've worked with over 80 prospects from six continents, so you could say I've been busy on the hardwood. Most of my time has been spent at school ball games and showcases, but I've made an exception for a few dual sport athletes like Weidler to hop onboard.

Being a former track athlete in Pennsylvania, I've seen a lot of god speed like talent in the sport. Kids fuming out the blocks from the start of the gun, jumpers attacking the runway and soaring into the pit, the muscle on the field seeing incredible throwers put their strength on display, you have to be a raw athlete to step up in the sport and Weidler is beginning to make strides in her career. I can discuss accolades and upside, but the young lady puts a chip on her shoulder.

Growing up in the foster care system, it's not easy as different kids have different situations. Some don't have a chance, while others have as I've seen it from experience. To even point out how mature she is at her age, Weidler has taken good care of herself and the ones around her. Has a close knit relationship with her brother, Bilal, an excellent student in the classroom, surrounds herself around positive influences, while focusing on creating a better life, there is not much more you can ask for from a kid. I believe that Weidler is on her way to doing great things, and proud of the person she is becoming.

Can Weidler slow down to take time and answer RPN questions? Let's see how the district champ will do.

I caught up with the Susquehanna Township standout on her sophomore campaign, life growing up in Harrisburg, and preparation heading into next season. 

Shaniyah Weidler Interview
Welcome to the show Shaniyah! When did you first start your track journey?
  • "I first started my track journey in my eighth grade year. I wanted to try it in seventh, but I was too busy with gymnastics, so I started my last year of middle school instead. I didn’t start triple jumping until the middle of my freshman year when Coach (Roger) Smith introduced it to me. Since then I’ve been competing on the runway."

Describe how you are as an athlete.
  • "I would say that on the runway, I attack the board with a lot of speed because I was a sprinter before I was a jumper. My mark that works for me is 92 feet. Coming off of my first phase I hop with my right, then skip to my left then proceed to jump into the pit. But, before anything when I get on the runway, I visualize myself jumping before I go. I remember all the critiques my coach has given me, and I try to install that into my jumps."

How was life growing up in Harrisburg?
  • "I traveled a lot during foster care, but I did end up growing up here in ‘The Burg’ with my adopted family when I was 5. I lived in a town house downtown before moving into Susquehanna. Now I live in a neighborhood, which has lots of trees and more forests areas, so more accessible for exercise. Going from the city to the suburbs was a positive change. But, since I was focused on gymnastics, I never really did school sports until my eighth grade year at the Hanna."

How was your sophomore season?
  • "This sophomore season was not what I expected. I ran different events that I don’t normally run. The coaches had me run the 300 meter hurdles, which I did qualify for districts. The 300 hurdles and triple jump are back to back, so I had to get used to that. Towards the end of the season, I strained my hamstring, and was out for two weeks right before Mid-Penn’s. I was worried I wouldn’t do well because I hadn’t actually been practicing. But, despite being injured before hand, I still got third in the hurdles, first in triple jump at Mid-Penn's and then gold at districts. At states I was in my head more than normal, and did not jump my best, but still had a solid year."

You’re still at a very early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?
  • "Usually for my workouts, I work on becoming more explosive, while finding body control. During the summer, it's a lot of sprint and technique work in grass, on the track and runaway. For sprints, I do a lot of parachute work with Coach Smith, along with a hurdle stretch, and ladders for agility. For jumps, I work a lot of bounds, runaway sprints and sand workouts for the third phase, which is the landing."

Who is your favorite athlete and why?
  • "My favorite athlete is Simone Biles. She was a gymnast on the USA Olympic team. She is my favorite athlete because she is also adopted, and went through a lot to become the best she can be. In the gymnastics world there are a lot of coaches, and teammates that are not the best, but she pushed through."

You are at the midpoint of high school, but what do you ideally look for in a school?
  • "For colleges I am looking for good coaches that I can connect with. With the academic side I want to be able to learn in a small environment, and not a ton of lecture halls. The location of the school doesn’t matter much to me as long as the track program is good."

What are your expectations heading into junior season?
  • "My expectations are high for my junior year especially as more colleges look at me. The goal is to jump 40 plus feet in triple, and run 14 seconds in the 100 meter hurdles. I am going to run indoor track as well to get me ready for the spring."

Thank you Shaniyah for taking the time to talk with me this morning. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation for people? Any last words?
  • "My advice is to not worry about getting the gold, but getting a PR and doing your personal best. When trying to win gets in the way it only makes it harder. Thank you for the opportunity to have me share my story!"