Junior Season Recap: The Ella Frey Interview (Camp Hill, PA)

 


Cedar Cliff's Ella Frey battling Wilson during the Colts' preseason scrimmage | Lowther Sports Complex | August 22, 2023


The puck has dropped across the country as hockey season is officially underw-

*Someone whispers in Reese's ear* Wait, it's still going on? 

*Embarrassingly laughs* My apologies ladies and gentleman, wrong script. Give me a few.


Ella Frey has returned back to the Factory.

The 2025 midfielder and forward is bound to have a successful senior campaign, but although we can go on forever about the future, let's speak in the now.

Missing the majority of her junior season due to injury, it's not any ideal situation a young athlete should have to go through. Spending time away from the field, standing on the sidelines, and aiding your time with a much needed boot. The past few months have been tough, but Frey didn't let it shake her.

Going through rehab in early fall, and now getting ready to hop into club season, Frey will continue to monitor her progress while showcasing her talent in front of high level coaches with the PA Classics.

Does Frey have enough strength to go through another RPN interview?

In this case let's live by the words, "More work, less play."

I caught up with the 2025 athlete on her summer campaign, college recruitment and plans for the offseason.


Ella Frey Interview
Welcome back to the Factory Ella. How has everything been lately?
"Thank you for asking. Everything has been good. Since we’ve talked in April, I spent most of my time training for my upcoming high school soccer season. Currently, I’m recovering from a strain, but looking forward to getting back at it. I'll also be competing with my PA Classics club team this winter and spring."


Since you came early this year to the RPN Factory, there have been a lot of changes within the network. What are some similarities, but changes that you have noticed with the brand? 
"I feel blessed to be a part of the RPN Factory. Over time at the RPN Factory, I noticed an increase in the number of elite athletes being interviewed as well as the diversity of sports that are being covered. I think it’s great that you’ve expanded to more sports. In giving you the opportunity to cover athletes all over the world."


How has the academic year been lately? 
"My junior year at Cedar Cliff is going smoothly. I’m taking a few college courses as well as AP courses that will hopefully help land me at a college of my choice in the near future. I really enjoy AP Chemistry, and I'm looking forward to the college level business class I will be taking in the spring. I’m hoping to study business in the future so this class is really intriguing. I continue to carry a 4.0 GPA and hope to maintain these grades through the end of high school."


From my understanding, the soccer season recently wrapped up at Cedar Cliff. How was your junior season?
"My junior soccer season with the Colts was not the success we had hoped for. However, through the ups and downs, we were able to connect and form strong bonds within our team. I was humbly honored to serve the role as one of the captains for our team this season, and feel that I learned a lot about personal growth as well as team growth. Sadly, I had to take time off the field towards the end of the season in order to mend a strain, but I continued to cheer and help out from the sidelines each and every week. I look forward to my senior year!"


Going back in time, how was the summer period for you leading up to the fall?
"Other than going on vacation and a few concerts, last summer was a summer of, 'more work and less play.' I focused on strength training, fitness, technical training and college ID camps. I work with an amazing strength coach, Sam O’Connor, at Inspire 2 Perform, 3 times per week. In addition to attending my school soccer open fields and conditioning, I ran on my own and worked on skills. I dedicated my summer to getting in the best shape in order to play at my best come school ball, and club soccer."

"I enjoyed attending various college soccer ID camps," Frey continued. "Where I toured the campuses, surrounding towns and athletic facilities. I met some amazing and talented high school soccer players as well as many respected and successful coaches. The camps helped me gain a better understanding of what the various levels of programs are looking for, and what I am looking for. I hope to continue visiting colleges this winter, spring and summer."


You came into Year 3 with a different mindset, and looked a lot stronger and poised on the field. What were some goals you set for yourself in terms of player development?
"I always set goals for myself, both long term and short term. As far as my play for junior year, my goal was to increase my strength and endurance, as well as, working on my mental training. I participated in a program called Elite Competitor Program. It's a 10-week program where I learned to perform well under pressure, remain calm in times of chaos, and play past my limits. A lot of athletes train their bodies but forget to train their minds, which gives the most elite athletes the competitive advantage over others. I believe working on both my physical and mental aspects of being an athlete, made me stronger than ever." 


Summer is a great period to start thinking about future plans. You’ve also had the experience of visiting schools during the travel season. Even to this point, do you have any plans or have thought of life two years from now?
"I have visited numerous colleges this past summer, and have seen some pretty amazing soccer programs and campuses. Two years from now, I hope to be at my school of choice, playing the game I love in soccer. I hope to play for a well-respected coach, meet other talented soccer players, and play on a team that sees success both on the field and in the classroom."


Have you had a chance to watch any college or pro soccer on TV lately? 
"I love to watch soccer, but with my practice schedule and schoolwork, I rarely have the time to sit and watch an entire college game. I follow many schools and watch highlights weekly in order to learn more about the game. In addition, I continue to review game films from our own team to gain more insight."


What are your expectations heading into your last year?
"Heading into my last year of soccer, I hope to stay healthy so I can have a successful school and club season. It would be great if CC as a program could make it to the playoffs my final season, and be even more exciting if I could lead the team in goals, and or assists."


Thank you Ella once again for taking the time to talk with me. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words? 
"Of course. As always, thanks for having me and supporting my journey in school and sports. I have endured various injuries through the years. I just want to remind athletes that overcoming injury is not easy, but it's possible. It's possible through positive thinking, hard work and dedication. Athletes should not only work on their physical aspects, but mental as well to become successful. Thank you once again!"


Ella Frey - 2025

Twitter @EllaFrey7

Contact Tyreese Smith: