Player Profile: Alivia McCaskell (York, PA)

 

Alivia McCaskell made a stop at the RPN Factory. | Paul Chaplin of GameTimePA


Name: Alivia McCaskell

Hometown: York, Pennsylvania

Height: 5-9

Position: Shooting Guard/Small Forward

High School: Central York (PA)

Graduation Class: 2026

AAU Club: Sideline Cancer NXTPRO

GPA: 3.9

Accomplishments: YAIAA 2023 Division 1 Player of the Year, YAIAA All-Conference (2022, 2023), Sideline Cancer Nationally Ranked Program (No.114 out of 150 in 2023)

NCAA ID: 2106212517

Recruiting Emailaliviamccaskell@gmail.com

Status: Uncommitted


YORK, PA -- Alivia McCaskell is a 5-9 Combo Guard from York, Pennsylvania. She's currently a sophomore at Central York High School, and is a part of Sideline Cancer on Puma's NXTPRO circuit. One of the premier sophomores in Pennsylvania, McCaskell averaged 10.5 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 3 steals to lead the Panthers to a 17-7 record, and was recently named YAIAA Division 1 Player of the Year.

Watching McCaskell develop as a player these last two seasons, I knew deep down that she would begin to take off in year two. 

Highlighted on any scouting report, McCaskell is an efficient two-way player. She can score at will, works her butt off to defend the opposition's best player, but most importantly plays at a pace and with a high IQ that you just can't teach as a coach. McCaskell's never had an issue with her role on any given night, but has also opened the door in taking on PG1 opportunities for CY this season to better her team's success. Hearing nothing but positive reviews on her character from sources, coaches and even players such as Janay Rissmiller and teammates, Bella Chimienti and Zaelinh Nguyen-Moore, she has a lot to offer for any college program as her game continues to blossom year in and year out. 

Even though McCaskell will miss her grassroots season to recover from a season ending ACL tear, suffered in a contest against York High on January 29, she is bound to have an even better junior season come next winter.

The RPN caught up with the D1 Player of the Year on a breakdown of her game, sophomore season, and preparation heading into junior year.

Alivia McCaskell Breakdown
Strengths:
Elite Defender
  • "One of the best all-around defenders in the state, McCaskell is a dawg in the trenches of the court. Hand is always in the passing lanes, lined up near the baseline when guarding upfront, but specifically playing through her advantage in height and wingspan to cause havoc on that end. Averaging 3 steals a game, along with 6.3 rebounds, as a main option you rarely hear about other categories that the player thrives in. Although, McCaskell has proved to be versatile no matter where she's at for the duration of the game."

High IQ Player
  • "Very smart player on the court, McCaskell's understanding of the game is up to par. Looks to make the right reads, stays alert on the defensive end, while being one of the most unselfish people I know in the class. Having a high GPA easily translates to the athletic field as you can count on her to be wise with her decision making."

High Motor
  • "You have probably heard a coach say, 'play with energy, play with energy,' at some part in the huddle. Well, McCaskell is energy and energy is contagious. You don't have to tell the girl much. All you have to do is hand her a ball and walk away. Okay that was a little corny, but in all seriousness, the film doesn't lie as McCaskell is a serviceable high motor player."

Slashing Ability
  • "McCaskell's offensive game is still coming along, but the girl will run through a train if she has to for a bucket. No fear in her game. Being very athletic at 5-foot-9, she's able to shake defenders left and right for an easy bucket through the lane. Converting the majority of her points off the dribble, McCaskell is still perfecting her craft as a lead guard, but the finishing ability is starting to open the eyes of college recruiters."

Strong Leadership 
  • "This was the first thing McCaskell emphasized through her production process. I'm not sure if it's from being around older influences her whole life, but McCaskell is ahead of her years and it shows through character. Bringing a lot of passion to the game, she's a symbol of 'We over Me' as she's always trying to remain positive."
  • "No matter if I score, or my teammate scores," McCaskell told the RPN. "Even if someone turns the ball over, you will see me high-fiving and lifting them up. Keeping up a positive energy, making things contagious, and other motivational techniques is something I continue to do between words of affirmation."

Improvements:
Becoming More Selfish
  • "Coming from McCaskell herself, the two way star will need to take more opportunities if she wants to play at an elite level. Getting more selfish off good looks with the ball. The good selfish isn't a bad thing, not one bit, but I have belief that she can turn it up a notch and can be trusted in that role as a player."

Getting More Creative 
  • "If I'm McCaskell, I'm taking these next eight months to watch basketball at least 2-3 hours per day. College basketball at all levels, WNBA, EuroLeague, whatever is available to her. I say this because this will only help her once she's able to get moving again without pain. Getting more creative on offense will only benefit her. Being able to set up defenders better will not only increase her basketball IQ, but inflate her scoring average. Adding a strong jab into a 15 plus feet jumper, shimmy shaking playing off two feet, different finishes off the dribble and more. McCaskell knows she's an athlete, but she has to apply an imagination to her game if she wants to be successful."

Shot Mechanics
  • "If McCaskell isn't working on her wrist motion everyday, then that's a problem. So much time on your hands that one can be able to think, and adapt things into their game. McCaskell is able to get her shot off in games, but there are ways of improving for a much more effective shot. Reacting quicker off the catch, staying shot ready on elevating through a defender's hand but even releasing better at a high point on an arc. A lot of young players don't realize they have trouble with mechanics until you struggle with getting your shot off against better defenders. In this case, McCaskell will need to adapt at a quicker release and if so, she will pay her way to college. Best believe it."

Alivia McCaskell Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "When I was around 5 or 6, I started cheerleading for basketball. After a couple games, I figured out that cheer wasn’t for me, and basketball looked more fun. My parents signed me up for the youth league, and ever since our first practice, basketball has been my entire life."

Can you describe your game?
  • "From a skill standpoint, I would describe myself as the player you don’t want to play against, but the player you want on your team. I am okay with having to guard the best player on the team, and do it to a high ability. Defense isn’t something that I am forced to play, but something I want to do on any given day. Offensively, I know when I need to score for my team, but still give out passes to my teammates for them to score too. I play anywhere on the court from bringing the ball up as a PG to posting up down low. I’d say finishing at the basket is the root of my game."

How was life growing up in York?
  • "Living in the county was mostly normal for me. Watching YAIAA basketball most of my life. I started off in York Suburban, but my transition to CY years ago is when I started to develop athletically. I left many friends and loved ones in YS that I will forever cherish, but CY became my new family and lifestyle. The social environment was 100 times better in CY. Being able to talk to and develop relationships with so many more people. The county and CY have been my home forever."

How was your sophomore season?
  • "We completely rebuilt our team this year with me being the only returning starter. New coaching staff and everything. But, I couldn’t be more surprised and proud of how we handled it. We had a winning season along with qualifying for the YAIAA playoffs. Individually, this season was supposed to be more of my breakout year, but I suffered a tear in my ACL and meniscus against York High (William Penn) on January 29 which ended year two."
  • "Next year is going to be a different story." McCaskell continued. "I am still proud of my team, sophomore year, and the way I stepped up but I’m not even close to being done."

You’re still at a very early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?
  • "Training is the root of what I believe is going to make me the best player I can be. Every workout I usually do a drill that helps me set my feet for a quick shot. Plus, a drill that has me doing different finishes at the basket each time. Also, focusing on footwork is a key part of my training. Charlie Parker is my coach and trainer, and he especially helps me work on the footwork aspect of all the drills we do. Along with training, watching film on myself, and analyzing what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong, it is helping me become better. Rather than seeing it as things I’m doing wrong, things I should be doing instead."

Playing for Sideline Cancer, it means more. More than just basketball, but bigger than yourself at the end of the day. Seeing the rise in the program, now starting to shift into the national ranks, how has the experience been being in Sideline's program? 
  • "The experience in just one year is indescribable. Sideline has been able to grow from being unknown to competing at the regional level turning into nationally ranked. All in just one year. The foundation and family we have built as an entire program means the most to me. I’ve developed a family playing with Sideline. We all play to have fun, but more importantly to raise money and support people with pancreatic cancer. Although, I'll miss this season because of my ACL, I am still glad to be a part of the program. To sideline cancer, we believe."

Who is your favorite athlete and why?
  • "My favorite athlete is Stephen Curry. I may not play like him in terms of shooting and shooting percentages, but his leadership and ability to take over a game is what sticks out to me. When the Dubs need a shot, he’s there. He speaks up in situations most won’t. There’s no fear in him when the game is on the line, and wants to be the player with the ball in his hands. This mentality is something every athlete should want and have."
Editor's note: They call her, "Liv 30" for a reason.


Who would you say you look up to as role models?
  • "Obviously I look up to my parents and family. Always have and always will. Outside of that, I’d say my role models are my basketball coaches, and Kobe Bryant. The experiences I have had with my coaches and the talks about when they played basketball gives me someone to model after. They are all great leaders, players, and people on and off the court. Kobe Bryant is someone I look up to due to his mentality. A player who never backed down from anyone no matter what and put in his all. Fearlessness, relentlessness, passion, obsessiveness, and resilience."

You and your sister, Camille have been at this for a long time. Growing up with one another, traveling the country for basketball and of course, having each other's back through whatever life throws at y'all. Describe the sister dynamic. 
  • "Having a sibling, specifically sister, so close in age is something everyone should want. We understand stand each other since we go through most of the same typical experiences as teenagers. She’s also someone I can go to no matter what. In terms of sports, it was hard for her when I made varsity and she made JV my first year. She excelled through, though. She's always been my number, and loudest cheerleader on the sidelines every game. Us on the same court this year is something that is only gonna be better heading into her senior year."
  • "Speaking if we are both healthy." She continued. "She knows I would beat her in a one-on-one anyday *laughs*. To give credit in a shootout, I have her taking the dub. This past year shows how much efficiently she has shot from the outside. I can't wait to see what she does as a senior, and wish her the best in life."

What do you believe are the greatest challenges most players are facing today?
  • "I think the challenges most players face today are injuries, pressure and performance anxiety. Injuries have become a big part of the game, and can mentally, as well as physically damage a player. Players never know what it’ll look like when they come back to sports, and are scared for the worst outcome. Then, the pressure to perform at high level, or win a specific game, leads to many mental health problems like anxiety and stress. A lot of athletes do not know how to handle this making it a bigger challenge."

What is the outlook heading into year three?
  • "Team wise, I’m expecting more wins than last year. We had a successful season for it being our first year with a new team and staff, but I think we can do more. I am expecting us to make a deeper run in the postseason. Individually, I am looking forward to coming back stronger than ever next season. Everything of my game to be taken to the next level. A vengeance comeback. I want to comeback and get back for all things I missed with my team at the end of this year. I'm looking forward to one of my best seasons yet."

Close to wrapping this up, but let’s think through this question. What do you see yourself accomplishing in the next five years? Rap to me. 
  • "In the next five years, I see my self improving my skills throughout high school and having two breakout seasons. Achieving multiple county and district playoff wins. I see myself graduating, and going on to play college basketball somewhere. Not sure where yet, but hopefully somewhere at either the Division 1 or 2. Any opportunity I'd be grateful for. Majoring in something sports related, maybe sports management or sports medicine."

Thank you Alivia for taking the time to talk with me for Week 1. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation for people? Any last words?
  • "Always remember it’s a minor setback for a major comeback. A coach (Troy Smeltzer) said this to me and I’ll say it for the rest of my life. 'Champions aren’t made in the spotlight, they’re forged in the shadows of adversity.' To remember that it’s brick by brick. Lay the perfect brick everyday, and the next day do it a little better. Thank you for having me."




Game Film (No.1 in CY's black away jersey | No.30 in Sideline's white home jersey)

23/24: Central York at West York (Game starts at 1:27:35) https://www.youtube.com/live/Mk6pIfn-nJE?si=JdMCG5wgqWhCqfFr

Select 40 15U Championship: Sideline Cancer vs SLAAM https://youtu.be/yu_m3NEZxeM?si=bvQEkom6azdWQIP-


Media Coverage on Alivia McCaskell