Emma Kostelac-Lauer, Trinity standout discusses the offseason, rehabilitation and return to play (Mechanicsburg, PA)

 



CAMP HILL, PA -- I fear for the Mid-Penn.

The chills, sweats, anxiety, it's all been occurring since I found out the news. 

It hasn't left my mind. 

It's been keeping me up at night. 

No, an EYBL team won't be coming to Harrisburg, BUT this brings life back into local hoops.

Why do I type that, though?


Because Emma Kostelac-Lauer is back.


After missing her sophomore season due to an ACL tear last spring, Kostelac-Lauer has returned to the hardwood. Going through nearly a year of physical therapy, the 2026 guard was cleared in nine months for contact on February 5, and the emotions poured out. Any person who dealt with hardships can understand why, but to Kostelac-Lauer, it just means more. 

As a freshman the past year, she averaged 8 points per game, while collecting 80 rebounds, 36 assists and 35 steals to be named a Mid-Penn All-Conference selection, Carlisle Sentinel's All-Sentinel Girls Basketball Team, and to PennLive's 2023 Big 15 and Off-the-Radar teams in helping guide the Shamrocks to a 19-11 record and a sweet sixteen finish in 4A.

Although, Kostelac-Lauer is shaking off rust and on minutes restriction to begin the HGSL season with Mid Penn Motion, she's taking it step-by-step to ensure that she gets back to form.

Let's read what she's been up to, shall we?

The RPN caught up with the Lady Shamrock on her recovery, viewing the season from a different perspective and a return to the court this offseason.

Emma Kostelac-Lauer Interview
Welcome back to the Factory, Emma. How’s everything been for you?
  • "Hello! Since the last time we have talked in May, I have experienced many ups and downs. From long days at therapy to reaching mini milestones that at the time seemed like a gold medal. For example, taking my first steps without crutches. These ten months have truly tested not only my physical ability, but also my internal emotional ability to put in the work to come out on top. While, I would never wish this injury upon anyone, I can certainly say one of the most positive outcomes is my forever lasting relationship with my physical therapist, Mr. Dominguez. Without Mr. Dominguez, I would not have been able to get cleared on February 5th my nine month mark." 
  • "Since February 5th," Kostelac-Lauer said. "I remained following a return to play plan by my surgeon. Since then I have been able to play up to twenty minutes in competitive AAU basketball games. Although, people may see 20 minutes as nothing, in my eyes it is something so special. Something I know I have worked so hard for, for these past ten months. Every morning before school going to PT, so I could get to the place I’m at now."

You were one of the last athletes to join RPN before the relaunch last year. Almost reaching the 12 month mark, what was your decision during your freshman year to join the brand?  
  • "My decision to join was that I thought it would be a good way to get my name out after having a pretty exciting freshman year. It also was right after I had just gotten my surgery after tearing my ACL and meniscus. It really helped to get my story out, and what had happened to me. Plus the RPN is the RPN, so it was worth it!"

How has your sophomore year been so far?
  • "My sophomore year was definitely hard due to not knowing where I fit. The intense academics at Trinity proved to be difficult for me to handle with my early morning PT sessions. Followed by afternoon workouts, and never missing any Trinity athletic team activity. But, overall my sophomore year is something I have definitely learned and grew from. It has allowed me to be involved in more social experiences than typical. My sophomore year has been very positive, and successful overall." 

Being cleared to return to action this spring must have been the best news to hear. Describe the process of your recovery.
  • "While I only saw my physical therapist 2 days a week, I had went to my PT on my own every day in the morning before school. Exercises that I did included a lot a lot of stretching, single leg, leg extension machine of course, learning how to run again, slowly cutting, and learning how to properly land when jumping making sure my form was right. What I really enjoyed when at PT was when basketball was incorporated into my exercises such as balancing on a Bosu ball and shooting free throws while on it, or band walks but being able to dribble while doing it. The first thing I learned is that I had to push myself all the time, if I wanted to meet my goal of getting cleared at 9 months."
  • "Mentally was the worst part for me." She continued. "It wasn’t physically. I hated having to always have to sit at games. Drowning in my thoughts on how I should be out there, how unfair it was, it killed me honestly. It hurt badly how I had to work, so hard every single day to come back to the thing I love most. While also having to sit, and watch people who don’t care for it. In this process, I learned that I didn’t have to hide all my emotions that it was okay to express my feelings. Another thing I learned mentally was that I had an impact on the game in both soccer and basketball season. Maybe not the impact I wanted to have, but some type of impact."

Having more down time due to the injury, I figured that you had more time to catch up on things outside of sports. Did you have any hobbies, interests or picked up any new skills during the hiatus?
  • "As sad as this may sound, my recovery was the hobby and my sole focus. To be honest, looking back I wish I would of taken the opportunity to pick up a new hobby."
Tyreese Smith: "I'd recommend that she learns how to play pickleball. Why? I really don't know, but it's the fastest growing sport in America. Go Rocks!

Having to sit out for a year isn’t easy for any athlete. Living life from the sidelines, were you able to see things from a different perspective?
  • "Prior to being on the sidelines in practice and games, I don’t truly think I understood what it meant to be a true leader. I learned that I need to push myself to be more outgoing than I typically am. I also learned that my relationship and constant communication with my coaching staff was essential, even when at times it was uncomfortable. Sitting on the bench truly allowed growth in my basketball IQ. I saw things on the bench that I would not have seen on the court, which will allow me to bring that to the court this coming season."

You’re still at a very early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?
  • "The kind of things I am doing is training at least six days a week. My training includes one-on-one training with my Grandpop, on the shooting machine at Trinity, individual training with Bryan Majors, consistent strength and conditioning with EXSP, and now AAU practice with Mid Penn Motion. After school, I also go to my school trainer, Dan Resavy who has helped me a lot throughout my whole injury. Alongside all of that I have two great parents and a brother. They support and push me to be the best person I can be in sports and outside those lines."

Getting back into the swing of things, you returned back to Mid Penn Motion for grassroots this offseason. What are some tournaments that you ladies will be playing in this circuit? 
-  "In my return to play, I will be playing with Mid Penn Motion. In the Hoop Group Showcase League under Bill Haertsch. Some of the tournaments we will be at are two at Spooky Nook Sports for 'LIVE! at the Nook' this weekend, then 'Prime Event East' from June 8 to 9, Later in spring, we'll be heading east to Jersey for the 'Atlantic City Showcase' from May 16 to 19, then the 'Hoop Group Championships' back in Atlantic City from July 19 to 22."



Thank you Emma for once again taking the time to talk with me. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words? 
  • "I don’t wish injuries upon any other athlete, but if you happen to be one of those special people to go through any injury, know that your not alone. On the days that it all seems too much, ready to give up, thinking, "Why did this happen to me?" Just know that the best version of yourself is being built all along the entire process, and you will always win at the end of the journey. My last words... While I am more than eager to play with my AAU team this season, I am also so ready to re-join my lady Shamrock teammates this winter. I think all of us are more than ready to repeat some Shamrock history. Thank you for inviting me back."

Twitter @ekostelac2