Former Goretti standout Cole Trn recaps sophomore season and transfer decision (Shippensburg, PA)

 

Cole Trn in action against PIAA 1A champion Imani Christian at York Suburban's Hoops 4 Harmony Showcase | January 14, 2024 | @carterweemsphotos 


Dear Goretti,

Thank you for all the support and help you have given me throughout this year.

I’m forever grateful to have had the opportunity to work with Coach McCray and compete with a good group of teammates in a very challenging Baltimore Catholic league. 

Though it has been a rough year for all of us,

I believe this year was still a special year.

As I am forever grateful for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I wish the best to everyone with what the future may hold.

...With that being said I will be transferring to The Hill School to continue my student-athlete career, while reclassifying to the class of 2027. 

Thank you once again for all the support you have given me.

- Cole Trn



Welcome back to the Factory, Cole. How have things been for you?
  • “Glad to be back as things have been good. It was a good sophomore season. I believe that I really grew my game in the competitive BCL through year two. I played more off guard than a point this season, so my role on this team was a little different. I averaged around 10 points a game. I feel my biggest improvements came from defense, and playing more physically. Very disappointing to not be returning to Goretti and playing for Coach Sidney McCray, but I’m thankful for the opportunity that I did have.”

Since you came to the RPN Factory last year, there have been changes within the network. Have you noticed anything new or different from the brand?
  • “I'm still fairly new than others, but from what I have noticed is how the RPN Factory has expanded the recruiting pool. You have picked up a lot of tough recruits since last year. The factory has also started to expand globally picking up recruits outside of the United States. Even now diving into other areas outside of writing. Overall, the RPN Factory has grown to be a big thing putting out great work for athletes.”

Attending Goretti was a lifetime experience. First year at private school, playing in the prestigious Baltimore Catholic League, and an induction into the National Honor Society. It’s unfortunate that Goretti is shutting down, but how was the experience knowing you were in the last group and team to walk those halls? 
  • “The experience of transferring to Goretti was definitely challenging on both the academic and athletic side. Getting to experience some of the traditions such as the MAIT tournament was priceless. It makes me proud to be a part of the great traditions, and history of the program. Even if it was for a short time with the school closing down. I also have built many good friendships there that will live with me forever.”

Congratulations on choosing The Hill School for your next stop in the journey. What factors led into this decision?
  • “Ever since I stepped on campus at Hill, back in December for their Mercer invitational tournament, I felt at home. The atmosphere at the school is great, and I felt the program they have there fit me the best. After many conversations with Coach (Seth) Eilberg, I felt his style of play was great for me as he has created great traditions within the Hill basketball program. I’m very blessed and honored to have the opportunity to play basketball and attend school in East PA.”

You're mature at your age, but still at an early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you still doing to make yourself the best player you can be?
  • “I’m constantly in the gym as much as I can. Getting shots up and lifting weights. I’ve started to shift my focus mainly on weights. To help myself get more physically ready for the next level. During this offseason, I’ll be training a lot with Coach Joe Stasyszyn and the Unleashed Potential crew.”

How has your college recruitment been going lately?
  • “I have started to reach out to schools I am interested in. Have been getting my name out there, and taking my time to get familiar with this process. So far it has been running smoothly.”

The live period is coming up soon, have you made a decision yet on who you’ll be running with?
  • “This live period I will be running with Sideline Cancer on the Made Hoops Circuit. We’ll be playing in tournaments in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Jersey. I will also be playing in two live periods with the Hill School in June.”

What do you believe are the greatest challenges most players are facing today?
  • “I feel that nowadays the transfer portal has made it very hard for high school recruits. As we are seeing right now, tons of players across the nation are already in the transfer portal after the season literally just ended. It makes it very difficult for high schoolers to get recruited when colleges could just look into the portal for an older and more experienced guy.”

Our interests change throughout time, but it’s important for recruits to have an idea about college basketball. You’re at the midway point of the process, but what do you ideally look for in a school?
  • “What I ideally look for in a school is a place where I feel at home. I want to be at a place that suits me best, and I can spend my entire college career there.”

What are your expectations heading into sophomore year?
  • “My expectations are always to just grow as a player, learn, and get better. As a team, I want to compete and win as many games as possible. Hopefully leading to a long postseason. Being able to continue to contribute to my team's success is also a main goal of mine.”

Thank you Cole for taking the time recap. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words? 
  • “Thanks again for having me, I believe the most important thing is hard work and dedication. That can take you anywhere as long as you get your mind right. Excited for the next chapter!”

Twitter @Coletrn10