The Abdou Diene Interview (Washington, D.C.)

 

Abdou Diene going through introductions during the 2023-2024 season

Name: Abdou Diene

Hometown: Washington, D.C.

Height: 6-6

Position: Power Forward

High School: Milton Hershey (PA)

Graduation Class: 2027

AAU Club: Central PA Elite 

GPA: 3.4

Status: Uncommitted

HERSHEY, PA -- Abdou Diene (D•N) is a 6-6 Forward from Washington, D.C. He is currently a freshman at The Milton Hershey School, and runs with Central PA Elite on the AAU circuit. The first D.C. native to join the RPN, Diene averaged 9.5 points per game, while snatching 195 boards in his rookie year for the Spartans.

First time seeing Diene hoop this past season, I knew he was going to be a long term project. For a two game stretch vs. Trinity and Mechanicsburg in the South Central PA area, the freshman big entered the game and immediately left an impact. Hustling 94 feet up-and-down the court, being active on the boards, and decent finishing around the basket in his first varsity games, a lot was there to raise eyebrows at the Spartan Center. Possessions weren't pretty, and a rebuilding MHS team went through tough times throughout the past season, but Diene leaves hope as I believe he can be a very solid prospect down the road.

As long as he really wants to get after it.

The RPN caught up with the DMV big on a breakdown of his game, the Milton Hershey experience and the outlook heading into sophomore season.

Abdou Diene Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "I started playing when I was around 7 or 8. I wasn’t really into sports, which is the funny part. I then suddenly grew the love for basketball in fifth grade when my dad told me to try it out, and it all continued from there."

In your own words, how would you breakdown your game?
  • "At the moment, I would say that I'm good with rebounding, passing, my defense and in the midrange. I'd also like to say that I’m a good teammate. With what I need to work on is my athleticism. I would like to be able to run faster, jump higher and move quicker especially at my height. My ball handling as well, but those are also things I could use some work on. I can shoot the ball well, but I would like to develop a more consistent shot too."

How was life growing up in the DMV?
  • "Life in the DMV was fun. For the most part, I grew up in Hershey coming to MHS in second grade. I visit home often, and I really like what the DMV had to offer. Especially for young hoopers like me."

The Milton Hershey experience is unique in its way. From the opportunities the school can provide to setting the foundation for life after high school. How has your experience been so far attending MHS?
  • "The experience has been up and down honestly. I learned a lot from MHS. It comes with some great opportunities, but responsibilities for us here. MHS has been fun for the most part as I'm now in the senior division especially with my basketball career starting." 

How was your freshman season?
  • "Freshman year was hard. My first varsity season, I did what I could for my team on both sides of the ball even though we struggled. I feel like we have a lot of potential to be really good in our future if we focus up."

You’re still at a very early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?
  • "For training, I get in the gym as much as I can. Working on my shot, athleticism, and toughness. Film wise, I’ve been watching a lot of college basketball as my favorite player from this past year was Dalton Knecht at Tennessee. I also put on a couple of pounds this offseason, which will help as well as I've been working with Coach (Logan) Johnson. We also just had a scrimmage against Alum, so it was nice to see how I'm pairing up."

You return back to Central PA Elite for grassroots this spring and summer. Playing with solid local talent and competing in top showcases throughout this offseason. What are some tournaments that you guys will be playing in this circuit? 
  • We will be playing in Made Hoops and Hoop Group tournaments. At the Nook, in the DMV, and one later closer to school in Harrisburg. We also have a really big tournament in Atlantic City this July."

Who is your favorite athlete and why?
  • "I'd probably have to go with Dalton Knecht. I like him because he is very underrated, and I like his play style. He's very calm, doesn’t talk much, and he resembles how I want to play."

Who would you look up to as a role model(s)?
  • "My biggest role model would definitely be Daniel Barlet. He was my former house parent at MHS. He’s like a father figure to me. His been probably the biggest help to me in my basketball career."

What are your expectations heading into year two?
  • "First of all, I feel like as a team we’re gonna have way more chemistry. That's the first thing to work on as it will definitely help in having a winning season. Individually, my perimeter shooting has improved immensely, so want to expand my game more. I am also looking forward this season to hit a scoring goal of at least within 350 to 400 points in my career. 

Close to wrapping this up, but let’s think through this question. What do you see yourself accomplishing in the next five years? Rap to me. 
  • "I'm going to be playing basketball at the Division 1 level."

Thank you Abdou for taking the time to talk with me this evening. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation for people? Any last words?
  • "Always try to get 1% better each day. You’re working for your own goals, not trying to impress others people. Don’t lose confidence on days when you feel like you're not impressing everybody else. Thank you for having me."