The Alexis Buie Interview (Shippensburg, PA)


Alexis Buie shooting against Millersville University in a PSAC East divisional contest | Andrew Miller | admiller@ship.edu | January 10, 2024



HARRISBURG, PA -- Doing something is better than doing nothing.

It's something that we should remind ourselves of as we're navigating through everyday life. Progress no matter how big or small is still powerful as it can make a difference. Whether it's starting a new job, entering college as a student-athlete, or working on your well being, change can be achieved by working and evaluating yourself on a daily basis.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, right?

One's journey that comes to mind is Alexis Buie.

Alexis Buie is a 6-2 Forward from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. She's currently a sophomore at Shippensburg University, who was a part of the 2023 recruiting class featuring former Central York Standout Bella Chimienti and Mia Johnson. In her freshman season, Buie averaged 6 points per game (career high 17 against Shepherd on February 28), while collecting 97 rebounds and leading the Raiders in field goal percentage as a rook.

The reason I bring up Buie as an example is to prove that it's okay to be a long term project. We're currently living in a microwavable society where we expect instant results. I'm guilty of this at times and am man enough to admit it. As someone who evaluates, I am not perfect. Through criticism and having a coach's mindset, I was a lot harder on Buie during the early years of her career. I knew she had potential early, but seeing it from a different point of view and knowing she needed to mature in order to find herself, I had my doubts.

She proved me wrong, though.

Transferring from Central Dauphin to Cedar Cliff her senior year, a switch was made. Playing with arguably one of the best girls basketball teams to ever come out of the Harrisburg Area, Buie's contributions set her up for what's in the now. In her senior season, the Harrisburg native averaged 10 points per game, while snatching 185 rebounds and recorded 45 blocks to help lead the Colts to a 30-1 record, Mid-Penn Conference Tournament championship, District 3 6A championship and 6A state title appearance. Buie's contributions also led her to earning a Mid-Penn All Conference, Carlisle Sentinel First-Team and PennLive's Big 15 third-team selections in 2023. 

I'm a firm believer that people need to face reality in order to grow. Through highs and lows, wins and losses, or even when tragedy strikes, your character develops as you continue to learn life lessons no matter what you are going through. Buie has the potential to do something much greater away from her family name and I can't wait to see how life unfolds.

But, for now I'll stop yapping and let Lex take the floor.

The RPN caught up with the Ship forward on the growth of her journey, moral support and an outlook heading into the future.

This was one of the best interviews that I have conducted in the last two years.

Alexis Buie Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "Honestly, when I first started playing basketball, I didn’t really enjoy it. It was something that all the adults and my friends around me were pushing me to do mainly because I was so tall. Also, adding on my family basketball history with All-Star basketball players for brothers. However, I eventually learned to love it in about sixth grade when I started to really like it."

How would you describe your game to people?
  • "If I had to describe my game, I would probably say that I’m somewhere in between a back-to-the-basket big, and a stretch five. With my ability to go beyond the arc and hit some shots. As well as my ability to dominate inside and on the glass. I’m a really big fan of keeping it simple inside, until I need to switch it up. Whether that be my drop step, or into a hook."

How was life growing up in the Burg?
  • "Growing up in Harrisburg was very unique to say the least. I grew up in a neighborhood where none of the kids looked like me. Furthering that I went to a school where none of the kids looked like me at home. Unfortunately, I was bullied. I was either too white in my neighborhood, or was too black at school. I went to Holy Name until about seventh grade. When I moved, mom then let me go to Linglestown Elementary. She wouldn’t let me go to a public school growing up as we lived closer to the city, and didn’t want me in school districts with the curriculum. After moving, though, things started to get a lot better for me. I was making friends and started to thrive as basketball was picking up."

Going back in time, your senior season is pretty unforgettable inside of one year. Being apart of the Early 20’s Cedar Cliff era and accomplishing a lot in a short time, that chapter has opened the door for you. It’s not ideal for someone having to transfer as a senior, but looking back at it, how was your high school career for you? 
  • "Honestly, my senior year having to transfer and leave everything and everyone I knew behind from CD was a little scary at first. However, I knew that it was what we had to do. It's been two years, so I can finally speak on it. Our landlord wanted to sell the house, so we had to move and my mom was having a really hard time finding anywhere that we could afford to live. Luckily we found a place over in Lemoyne and I ended up finding out that the school would be in Cedar Cliff. I instantly remembered thinking to myself 'Oh wow, I’m going to get to play with O Rose again.' After playing with her all of middle school and traveling with Mid Penn Motion. So there wasn’t really a matter of me looking for a new school so much as personal things took place. When I first got to CC, adjusting was very easy. The girls made it very welcoming as I was a familiar face to most of them such as Sidney Weyant, Taylor Ferraro, Kathryn Sansom and Olivia Jones, of course. We kind of instantly clicked again and it felt like old AAU days. We had a historical year that season, and it opened up so much for me."

Not being far from you home, you landed at Shippensburg for your collegiate basketball career. Choosing the Division 2 route, while playing for a successful coach in Kristy Trn, how was your first year experience? 
  • "When it came time to commit to Ship, there was no hesitation. I knew that Ship was the place for me with the coaching prestige in Kristy Trn, Dave Smith and Matt Allen. From the coaches, I felt Shippensburg would be the best opportunity for me to grow as a person and as a player. While still getting a great education and being able to make it home for the holidays. When I first arrived at Ship last year, I was super scared, intimidated and nervous. However, after a while, I adjusted and things got a lot less stressful."

  • "I really appreciate my coaches for creating an environment where it’s OK to make mistakes as long as you’re working hard." Buie continued. "The one thing I don't like about going there is probably having to smell the cow manure *laughs*, but the biggest pro probably be the people I’ve met there. Even now are some of my best friends. Isabella Chimienti, Abbie Miller, and even my roommate, are some of the opportunities with experience that I’ve gotten as a freshman. I’ve found a place that feels like home at Ship. My first year taught me that I can do anything I put my mind to."

Discussing being a college student, what have you seen in a year that you didn't expect coming from high school?
  • "My first year of college has taught me that college is whole lot different than high school. As far as academics and time management. College courses are more challenging and due dates come a whole lot faster, so I had to navigate that and learn a whole 'lotta time management. Now that I had practices, and lifts as well as classes and assignments due. However, I will say college really created a structured schedule for me for each day. It is something that I really love about that aspect of time management, and plan my day out to be successful."

Now being a collegiate player, you are in the 3% of high schoolers who made it. What kinds of things are you still doing to make yourself the best player you can be? 
  • "I follow a summer workout packet and get up as many shout as I can every day. My biggest focus this off-season has been trying to get stronger and faster. My two biggest struggles right now personally I feel are my conditioning and my strength. After my first year of playing collegiate basketball, and watching the film back, what stood out the most was how fast the game is played and how strong the girls are. This summer, I am prioritizing the weight room and running, while also working on skill and shot development."

Coming from a successful basketball family, there's much to talk about. Most notably, being the younger sister of former players in Penn State’s Taylor Battle and Northwestern’s Boo Buie. Both were all time leading scorers at their respective schools in the Big Ten. You have a very close knit family from seeing it, but keeping it in perspective, what does family mean to you?
  • "Coming from a huge basketball family definitely wasn’t easy. I got a lot of expectations placed on me early based on what my brothers were able to accomplish. Also, I was the first girl to play basketball in my family, so that brought something completely new into it as well. No one in my family really paid attention to my basketball career until about, eighth or ninth grade when I started to develop a little bit more and get better at the game. In my house, basketball was a lifestyle if you wanted to be something in life."
  • "You had better play basketball, or some other sport that was going to get you into college." She continued. "With a single mom, working three or more jobs around the clock just to make meets end, college was out of the cards. My older siblings, who were already well into their 20's and some even 30's, had really hard lives because we were so poor and I knew as a child, I didn’t want that for myself. I worked really hard in the classroom and out of the classroom to take care of business and get to Ship. My mom pushed me, and supported me every step of the way. Whether that was yelling at me that I could’ve done better, driving me 45 minutes to Carlisle to work out with Joe (Stasyszyn), or to Pittsburgh when I was with the Bruins in UAA. She knew it would be my dream so she helped me chase it."

Speaking of basketball, who is your favorite athlete and why? 
  • "My favorite player would have to be (Stephen) Curry, or LeBron. Maybe that was like really basic *laughs*, but I mean who doesn’t want to see the king and three-point goat in action?"

When not on the court, who is the real Alexis Buie to people? What hobbies or interests are you into off the court? 
  • "Off the court, I would say that I’m not really what a lot of people expect. I’m very into spending time with my family, drawing and baking. I’ve always been a more quiet kid and shy. A lot of times people think because I’m big, so I’m going to be loud and outgoing. However, I’m actually reserved, and in-between introverted-extrovert unless I’m around my friends or siblings."

What do you believe are the greatest challenges most players are facing today? 
  • "Great question, I think one of the biggest issues players are facing today is probably Identity issues as well as confidence. I mean, everyone wants to go D1 and be great. Want to go to the LSU's, Northwestern's and Penn State's of the world, but when that doesn’t happen, how do you move forward? How do you become okay with being the best you could possibly be? Whether that means being at D2, D3 level or in JUCO. Everybody has a different path and can still make the most out of it no matter where you land, so don't stress."

Any question that deals with the word, “support” can come in very different answers. From general statements, personal thoughts or outside factors impacting a person, everybody wants to feel supported no matter what’s going on in their life. Throughout your life, you have seen it all and experienced highs and lows. What does support mean to you and how’s it impacted you as you’re navigating life? 
  • "What support means to me is probably just knowing that I have someone in my corner. Who’s always rooting for me and my success even when it’s not necessarily what they had envisioned for me. Someone who tells me it’s going to be okay, and things will work out the way they are supposed to. Me being a super nervous person, always worrying about the future, and things I can’t control, I really look for people that can support me and be a positive influence. Putting a light on me and supporting my goals to become successful in my life."

If you could go back in the past to talk to your younger self, what would you say?
  • "If I could go back and talk to my younger self, I will probably say two things. One, stop all the worrying because you will make it to college. And, two to have fun while it lasts because life is coming way faster than you think."

Close to wrapping this up, but let’s think through this question. What do you see yourself accomplishing in the next five years? Rap to me. 
  • "When thinking long-term for me, a life goal for me I want to accomplish is graduating college. Whether that’s following through with Dentistry, or whatever else I may choose to study. I’m big on success. Not being focused on just one path, but rather what I can see being as successful for myself. So, right now my biggest long term goal is to just earn a degree, maybe two."

Thank you Lex for taking the time to talk with me. It was better late than never, to connect. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation for people? Any last words?
  • "Work hard, stay humble and love hard. Thank you for doing this for me!"

More on Alexis Buie