The Ugnius Jasevicius Interview (Lithuania)

 

Name: Ugnius Jasevicius

Hometown: Vilnius, Lithuania 

Height: 6-5

Position: Small Forward/Shooting Guard

High School: Menaul (NM)

Graduation Class: 2024

AAU Club: D1 New Mexico

Status: Uncommitted

ALBUQUERQUE, NM -- Ugnius Jasevicius is a 6-5 Small Forward from Vilnius, Lithuania. He's currently a junior at the Menaul School, and runs with D1 New Mexico on the Prep Hoops circuit. Jasevicius transferred into Menaul from Vilnius this past summer.

I was recommended to Jasevicius from teammate Nojus Zalenekas but trust me, Nojus didn't lie when he told me how good Markkanen Jr was. For disclaimer, Jasevicius is not related in any way to the Utah Jazz star as Finland and Lithuania are different countries, but the 2024 prospect's game draws similarities. Being a taller guard who can make highlight reel plays, scoring aggressively at all three levels and while displaying a very high basketball IQ, Jasevicius has a deep bag as he hasn't take step backs in his transfer. I believe the Lithuanian product has the upside to be a tough player at the next level, and he'll have a chance this live period to prove that.

I caught up with the international prospect on the move to the States, his junior season and preparation heading into the last chapter. 

Jasevicius provided a lot of thoughtful answers.

Ugnius Jasevicius Interview
When did you first start playing basketball?
  • "I first touched the basketball when I was 3 years old in kindergarten. My dad was very interested in basketball. He would give me his phone to watch Euroleague games when I was little. Even in our apartment we had a small hoop, and he would always play with me. That was the moment when basketball became my second religion as Lithuanians say."

Describe your game from the skill standpoint.
  • "I think that I am an All-Around player. Especially here in New Mexico, I could play point to a four easily. I have a great feel on the court. I can see the court well. Most people would say I am a slasher, but in my opinion it's a bit different. Yes, I’m athletic and can jump over people, but I can cash out from deep and spin people around with my handles. I think the best skills that I have is my IQ, finishing and vision."

How was life growing up in Lithuania?
  • "I was born in Kaunas, but after two years we moved to Vilnius. Life in Vilnius was great. There are some places where people have problems, but very little. Thankfully, I lived in a calm and friendly neighbourhood in Antakalnis. My life was different than most of the kids. I lived with my dad, and he is a hard-worker. I wouldn’t be in the US without him. Basically, I didn’t see him much. I would say I became an adult at 10 years old. Doing almost everything by myself, and it became a benefit for my own future life. Vilnius is a great beautiful city. You can visit a lot of things there. Since we had very cold winters and warm summers, there was not a lot of time for outdoor activities, so I would always spend my free time with friends in an indoor basketball court. Overall, the city I grew up in was the best place I could ever think of growing up."

I'm pretty new to the Lithuanian basketball scene, but it seems very intriguing. In your own words, how would you describe the basketball culture?
  • "We love basketball in Lithuania. Forget about other sports there. We just have basketball there. There is a saying that basketball is the second religion in Lithuania. With less than 3 million people, Lithuania is always among the strongest, and most passionate teams in the world. Many generations and traditions have changed in Lithuania throughout the years, but love for the game of basketball has stayed the same. We have basketball courts on every corner of the city. The atmosphere in arenas is way different than the US. We literally live and breathe basketball."

Transferring to a new country comes with many different things to think about. With opportunities, leaving family and discovering new life. But, why did you decide to transfer from Vilnius to Albuquerque and how was the process behind it?
  • "I decided with my family to go to the US because of more opportunities. Not only basketball opportunities, but life opportunities too. The process was quite easy since I had an agent who helped me find schools to choose from. We had schools across the country from Pennsylvania, California, New Mexico and New Hampshire. We eventually came across Menaul that had a European coach. That’s when I knew I had to go to Menaul, and made my decision."

How was your junior season?
  • "My junior season was very different from my other seasons. Individually, the first half season was amazing. The team gave me a warm welcome, and I earned a starting spot. I did well in the first half of the season. When it came to the post-season, I had a lot of personal problems, and I couldn’t help my team to reach the state title. We reached the semifinals and lost to Pecos, the number one team in our class. This season gave me a lot of lessons. I hope next season, I will be a better leader on the court and off."

You’re still at a very early stage of your career. What kinds of things are you doing to make yourself the best player you can be?
  • "Last year, I started to take care of my body more. I worked with my trainer, Paulius Viknius, who made me jump out the roof in one summer. Now, I still talk with him as he gives me workouts and I get better everyday. Right now, I’m trying to get more muscle on my upper body. On the court, I try to improve my dribbling and shooting skills. If I get an opportunity, I try to shoot at least 500 shots a day. It’s hot in New Mexico, so I usually do dribbling drills outside."

Who is your favorite basketball player and why? 
  • "My favorite player is Jayson Tatum. Tatum has the size, and ability to play every position. Has a great basketball IQ, he can light you out from deep. His mentality is what I like about him the most. At this moment, he is one of the most clutch players in the league. Tatum is an amazing character from being a dad off-court, and a player on the court."

Who would you consider your role models?
  • "My role models are my dad and Kobe Bryant. Both are hard-workers, and show how much they care about people that are around them. Nobody has a better mentality than the Mamba himself. I hope one day I can become a person similar to them."

As you’re now at the age where you’re looking and playing for college opportunities, what do you ideally look for in a school?
  • "I want a school that cares about basketball players, and coaches who try to develop them to become better players and people in life. I would like a school to be academically good.To help students reach something in life. Personally, location doesn’t really matter to me. I just want a school that cares about everybody, and would give me an opportunity."

What are your expectations heading into the last chapter?
  • "For my senior season, I want to win state. That’s the most important goal for me next season. Individually, I want to perform as best as I can and be a great leader. On tough times, be able to put the team on my back. Of course, I want to get any offer from a school. I hope to be recognized by everybody for who I am, and want them to know my name."

Thank you Ugnius for taking the time to talk with me. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words?
  • "Be great and be yourself. If you want to reach something, work as hard as you can. Nobody cares about you, unless you show your greatness and work."

Ugnius Jasevicius - 2024


Twitter @j_ugnius